Week 3

A combination of snow and illness had us confined to the flat for 5 days which was actually quite enjoyable at first but by Friday afternoon I was teetering on the edge of going completely stir crazy, so it was a real relief to get out onto the allotment, even though it was only for a couple of hours.

The plan from last week was to cover the extension with membrane but, due to a lack of forethought on my part I didn’t have enough membrane left to cover the whole area. So, instead I did a bit of digging.

This will come as no surprise to anyone who looked out of their window or tried to venture outside last week but, due to copious amount of, now melted snow the plot was seriously muddy. So muddy, that by the time I, very carefully walked back up the slight slope (now a wonderfully slippy mud slide!) to the allotment gate I had mud all over me. (Not the best day for my washing machine to pack up but hooray for online shopping – new one coming on Tuesday)

The digging, even aside from the mud was pretty frustrating. It seems I have a layer of builders’ rubble and bricks just below the surface in the extension, which makes it wholly unsatisfying to dig as every time I plunged the fork in it hit something hard. I made some progress though and even uncovered quite a large piece of membrane which I used at the back of the extension, adding it to the small area I’d already covered.

The rubbish pile is becoming quite intimidating and I’m going to have to deal with that soon – not a job I’m especially looking forward to. I also have a growing collection of bricks and pieces of concrete which I was advised to hang on to as they’re useful to hold down the membrane.

20180304_122517

 

I enjoy photography and, through this have become a bit of a bird watcher. I try to take my camera with me every time I visit the allotment as I often spot the Red Kite circling overhead. Today, I was very excited to see a green woodpecker. It’s only the 2nd time I’ve seen one and the first time I’ve been able to take a photo of one. It didn’t hang around for very long and it was perched on a concrete post in one of the gardens that back onto the allotment so I had to take the photo through the fence but I’m really pleased I got the shot.

 

So, overall not the most productive week so far but some progress made and I’m looking forward to a snow free week this week.

DSCF9988DSCF9969

 

One thought on “Week 3

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s