It feels like it’s rained all week but there have been enough dry periods for me to make some decent progress on the plot.
I popped in on Tuesday lunchtime just to take the lid off the water butt, but I ended up staying for about an hour, weeding. Due to all the rain the weeds come up so easily but also, due to the rain there were loads of them! By college pick up time it was raining again so instead of the allotment, I took my helpers for milkshake and cake. Maybe next week it will be dry enough to take them to the plot.
I felt it was time, this week to clear the butternut squash bed. I harvested the remaining 3 squashes and put the plants in the compost bin. I’d picked up some coffee grounds from Starbucks this week and, on Michelle’s advice I dug them into the soil under the squash ladder. While clearing the area under the ladder I discovered the problem with hanging the bird feeder there – lots of the seeds had dropped down and germinated. There were lots of new shoots under the ladder. I removed as many as I could find and dug the coffee granules in. I’ve left the ladder there for the time being until I decide what I want to grow there next year.
I spent some time clearing the pumpkin patch aswell. There were only 2 pumpkins left on the plants and when I moved the smaller of the 2 I found it was being eaten by a whole host of little creepy crawlies so that’s gone into the compost bin along with most of the plant. There’s one pumpkin left which I’ve sat on the ladder strut to keep it off the ground and hopefully avoid the same fate of the smaller pumpkin.
I picked all the remaining peppers. Some were very small but they won’t grow any more so they all needed to be harvested.
I also picked a few cucamelons and a few of the tomatoes that have ripened. There are still a lot of tomatoes on the plant, I’m not sure if they’re going to ripen or if we’ve run out of time but I guess I’ll find out.
The dahlia is still producing flowers and makes me smile every time I see it.
The chrysanthemum is enormous and has buds on it. According to what I’ve read online I can expect it to flower any time from now on and they should continue to flower until christmas. My plan is to move the chrysanthemum plant from where it is so I can set up the row of water butts along the side of the shed but, from what I’ve read, I may have to wait until the new year, after it’s finished flowering before I do that. I also have no idea where I’m going to put it.
Rhubi, as ever is looking very healthy. Again, a little bit of research tells me if I harvest her at this time of year, I have to do it sparingly. So, I think one more harvest and I’ll leave her alone for the winter.
Aswell as the work I’ve done on the plot this week I’ve also done a bit more work on the chest of drawers I painted last week. I wasn’t entirely happy with the final look and I felt it needed a little more colour so I bought some yellow paint and painted the handles. I’m so pleased with how it turned out (and, yes I know I still have to paint the feet!)
The plot is starting to look a bit empty – all the potato plants are gone, the spinach bed is empty and now the squashes and most of the pumpkins have been cleared. We’re really starting to wind down now and it will soon be time to think about what I want to grow next year. I’ve been beating myself up a bit recently about how messy my plot is and how many weeds I have on my plot so I thought it would be useful to look back and see what the plot looked like a year ago to see how far I’ve come. So, a year ago this is what the plot looked like. I hadn’t even started digging the extension! It’s great to see how much I’ve accomplished in a year and makes me feel a bit better about how messy the plot looks at the moment.
Here’s what the plot looks like this week.