This week has been all about furniture. I’ve been looking at replacing my dining table for a while now and I finally found a second hand one I liked which I picked up this week. The old one is in mum’s garage (I have plans for it!)
I also decided this would be a great time to change my bedroom around. My bedroom doubles as my craft space and I haven’t been happy with it for some time so I picked up some second hand furniture that I felt fitted a bit better than the wardrobe I was using. I then had the incredibly frustrating job of trying to get rid of a perfectly good wardrobe that nobody seemed to want. After countless messages from various people all week it was finally picked up by a lovely lady this afternoon – such a relief it’s gone!
So, after a week of huge upheaval and climbing round bits of wardrobe in the hall, everything is back to normal and I have a much more useable craft space. I even took some time to paint it to match the rest of my bedroom.
With all this furniture removal, this week hasn’t left me much time for the allotment and I’ve only been down there once and only for a couple of hours but it was quite a productive couple of hours. And what a gorgeous morning I chose!
Like last week, it involved quite a lot of clearing and harvesting. I harvested the last pumpkin and cleared the rest of the plant. The bed is now empty with just 2 ladders looking a bit weird with nothing growing up them. The pumpkin is in the shed with 2 others mainly because I just don’t have the space for them in my kitchen (I have a very small kitchen!)
The cucamelon and cucumber plants have also been pulled up and are in the compost bins. The cucamelon plant really surprised me. I thought I’d just pick the last few cucamelons before I dug the plant up. There were loads on there – it took me ages! They were hiding all over the place. Even as I was pulling it out of the ground I kept finding more. Almost a whole punnet full – which is loads when you remember how small cucamelons are. If I’m honest I’m not sure I’ll grow cucamelons again next year. They were definitely fun to grow but I don’t really know what to do with them. They are nice pickled, according to a quick Google search and they go well in a salad but, apart from that there’s not much else. I have a few in the freezer so I may add this latest haul to them and use them in my morning smoothie.
I also dug up the sunflowers from the same bed. I chopped their heads off (not as gruesome as it sounds!) put the stalks in the compost and made a sunflower smiley face – well, you have to, don’t you?!
I know I said I wasn’t going to harvest any more rhubarb but I just couldn’t resist. That’s definitely (almost certainly!) the last Rhubi harvest this year.
I was hoping the chrysanthemum would have flowered by now but it hasn’t. It’s so close, I can see the pink petals all folded up inside. Maybe next week.
The dahlias are still looking gorgeous with so many flowers on them – I really wasn’t expecting them to flower as much as they have. I really don’t know how long they’ll last so I’m just enjoying them while they’re there.
After all the clearing this week both compost bins are full. I haven’t turned them for a while but if I want some decent compost out of them I’ll have to get in there and move it all about soon. It’s a difficult job though because I have to use a fork to reach the bottom of the bin but then the length of the fork makes it really difficult to turn the compost over. Ideally I would like a compost bin that looks like a tombola bin so you just turn the handle and all the contents spin but they’re super expensive so, for now I’ll have to stick with my very awkward fork procedure.
Here’s how I left the plot this week. The grass is looking decidedly long – I might have a go at cutting that next week. Apart from that it’s going to be all about preparing the site for winter.